Sharing templates with end users
The Docxpresso backoffice interface offers the possibility of sending a link to an end user so he can provide us with the required data to generate a final document.
From the main page associated with a particular template one may obtain a link from the "Share" section. In order to do so, we should first choose a link type:
- "Interactive document": will offer a link to the standard interactive document Docxpresso interface.
- "Web Form": will offer a link to the associated responsive web form.
If we obviate the available advanced options that will be detailed below by clicking the "Generate link" button a link will be offered in a text area. By copying and pasting it in a browser one will be able to access the required document interface.
One may stablished via the "Share" interface the following options that may override some default document options:
- Identifier field: its value will be saved to identify a particular template usage. This value will override the custom template settings.
- Reference: an additional text that will help to identify that particular template usage.
- Prefix: if given it will limit the edition of variable starting by that prefix (followed by an underscore).
- Notify: a set of docxpresso user emails (separated by ";") that will be notified of the end user edition.
- Custom data: aditional parameters that may be used by some script associated with the document.
- Request data: an URL from which the template may obtain some predefined data.
- Save data: an URL where the data should also be saved (besides the Docxpresso database).
- Redirect URL: an URL where the end user should be redirected after fulfilling the data.
- Error URL: an URL where the end user should be redirected in case of error.
In many cases a document may need the participation of more than one party or an iterative process where the document web interface should be edited in a back and forth procedure. This is, of course, possible with Docxpresso, please see: Setting simple workflows within Docxpresso.
Whenever a link is shared with an end user that in general will not be a Docxpresso backoffice user it is important to set up strict access control policies.
The access control security level is set globally and it will be explained in detail elsewhere. Nevertheless, we will briefly explain the possibilities and you should check with your platform administrator the predefined security level.
The following security levels are available:
- Level 0: public access granted.
- Level 1: APIKEY required. The APIKEY is generated out of all the request parameters, a timestamp, a custom unique id and a secret private key. The offered link may be reused at any time.
- Level 1.5: the same as level 1 but with expiring timestamps (default 24 hours). The offered link may be reused at any time before expiration.
- Level 2: The APIKEY expires after its first use so the link may be only used once.
- Level 2.5: The APIKEY expires after its first use or by an expiring timestamp whatever happens first.
Whatever the global security policy may be one may remove end user access control for a particular template form the "Actions" section. This will allow to freely distribute a direct link to a document without any further control.
Obviously, you should use this option "with care".